It’s #MicroBizMattersDay on the 8th January! Start-ups are being encouraged to spend at least 8 minutes of their time to support and celebrate micro-businesses in the UK. Over one million micro business owners will be giving at least eight minutes – #IGave8 – to help other micro business owners survive and thrive. It is a day of Recognition, Action and Learning on the themes of Customers, Cashflow and Chat.
With that in mind, spend 8 minutes reading our blog post which provides advice for businesses of all sizes – and share it with a micro-business you know.
Tips for Micro-Business
- Become an expert. If you know your stuff, become an expert – it’s easier than you think: Guest post on other business’s blogs, speak at events, write an eBook. These are all ways you can connect with customers.
- Keep score. Keep on top of your micro-business performance – your cashflow, your webstats. How well are you doing? And where is there room for improvement? If you are starting from scratch, take a look at Johnny Martin – ‘The Numbers Coach’ who breaks it down and makes things simple!
- Invest in the right tech. Your micro-business can compete with businesses of any size with the right technology – and the ‘cloud’ makes it affordable, flexible and scalable. Read our blog on the benefits of trial before you buy and check out the many technology solutions you can trial for free.
- Ask for testimonials. If you’ve done a good job, let others know about it! Ask your existing customers for feedback and whether they’d mind you using a quote on your website.
- Get out there. Spend some time checking out events that are relevant to your work – whether that’s an industry that compliments yours, experts that can help you, or peers you can exchange notes and contacts with. Check out Microsoft and our partners specialist SMB events.
- Collaborate with other micro-businesses. Nowadays, technology makes it possible to work together without having to meet up, but doing so adds context to your work and can be a good
- Tell us about yourself. The ‘About us’ page is one of the most important pages on your website. If you don’t have one, spend a few minutes today writing one! People like to know they’re dealing with a micro-business. Intro yourself to our community of SMBs and we will give you feedback on your ‘About us’ if you ask for it.
- Get into ‘engagement marketing’. Engagement Marketing means connecting with your customers to keep them coming back to you, and spreading the word about your work. Learn more about ‘engagement marketing’.
Catch-up on the latest news, insights, advice and support for Micro-businesses on the #MicroBizMattersDay website.
Tune into the live stream on Youtube (available from 9am on 8th Jan)